Product: Tetra Pond - Quick Test 5 to 1 - Strips measuring water from the pond garden
Why measure the water in a pond garden?
To ensure optimal growth of fish and plants, environmental conditions in the pond garden must be good and fit in as much as possible to those of a natural habitat intact.
Several external factors, such as rainwater, adding dl new water, sunshine, dead leaves or feed administered, however, trigger a series of biological and chemical processes in the pond, thus changing the characteristics of the water. < br> To ensure the biological balance and thus the health of fish and plants, are indispensable regular monitoring of water quality and, in case of critical values, appropriate countermeasures targeted.
What values are measured with water Tetra Pond - Quick Test 5 to 1?
Nitrites (NO2) and nitrates (NO3): from organic material (nitrogen-compounds), for example droppings and the remains of fish and feed, derives ammonia, a substance which is harmful decomposed into nitrites and nitrates in later.
Nitrates (NO3) represent a nutrient for plants, however concentrations greater than 50 mg/l encourage the growth of algae. The Nitrites (NO2) at concentrations of more than 1 mg/l are long-term harmful for your fish.
Total Hardness (GH): total hardness (GH), determined by the concentration of salts of calcium and magnesium, has a direct impact on cellular functions in fish, plants and microorganisms.
The GH value should be between 4° and 10° dGH.
Hardness (KH): bicarbonates measured as hardness (KH), are an important chemical, often linked with calcium and magnesium. The bicarbonates have a buffer effect on the pH and prevent sudden and drastic changes in pH (sudden drop in acid). The KH value should be between 3° and 10° dKH.
pH value: The pH value of water indicates the acidity (pH <7) and alkalinity (pH> 7) If the pH value of water is 7, we talk about water with neutral pH. All fish, plants and micro-organisms react in a way to sudden and drastic changes in the pH value.
For almost all fish pond is suitable pH value between 6.5 and 8.5. However, the ideal pH value depending on the species of fish. For Koi carp, for example, the ideal pH value is between 7 and 8.
How to proceed with the measurement:
Pull out a measuring strip from the tube, which goes well closed. Dip the strip for about 1 second into water, without touching with your fingers the knobs indicators (the arrows should be directed towards the sea surface). Shake the strip to remove excess water. After 60 seconds compare the color of the strip with the colorimetric scale imprinted on the tube.
Do not hold the strips measuring under running water!
What to do when the values of water are not going well?
• If the value of nitrites and/or nitrates is too high, made a partial return of water (½ ¹/3). Treat the water that always going to add with TetraPond®AquaProtect.
• If the GH value and KH are too high, enter in your pond of rainwater. To avoid excessively high concentrations of copper or zinc in rainwater and consequently in your pond, you should collect water from gutters synthetic material. Rainwater brought to the pond should be treated with TetraPond AquaProtect.
• If the GH value and the KH value are too low, add water of the pond with granulated carbonate of calcium, dolomitic rock or marble, to increase the hardness and total hardness.
• Often the growth of algae is the cause of high pH value. In this case we remove the algae and uses a product effective against algae, as Tetra Pond - AlgoFin or Tetra Pond - AlgoRem.
After any intervention on the water values, we recommend to verify the effect with a new measurement.
Recommendations for a good and lasting quality
• Ask your dealer the number and size of the best fish for your pond garden.
• Do regularly exchange a partial water and remove residues of plants and feed from the bottom of the pond. Treat always tap water to be placed in the pond with TetraPond AquaProtect in order to neutralize the chlorine and dissolved heavy metals.
• Wash the materials for biological filtering water taken from your pond, to avoid being destroyed specific microorganisms necessary for the decomposition dl harmful substances in the pond. A regular cleaning avoids the filter becomes obstruct. To obtain a water clear and biologically active, we recommend the use of Tetra Pond - AquaClean. Its active enzyme, supporting the activities of microorganisms and thus promote the decomposition of organic substances harmful.
• To avoid polluting the water, you should administer the food sparingly. Give two or three times a day a portion that your fish are able to take in a few minutes. We recommend using only feed line quality TetraPond.
These feed contain valuable nutrients and balanced in the best, and vitamins and trace elements, are also easily assimilated by the fish and ensure an excellent growth of your fish.
Use with caution products against algae. Before use read the information on the product.