Product: Red Sea Aiptasia X Refill - 500ml
Live rocks are an essential part of a reef aquarium, and as their name suggests they are colonized by a rich variety of living marine organisms most of which play a significant role in the success of the marine aquarium.
One of the organisms that is very often introduced to the aquarium with new live rocks (and sometimes with corals) is Aiptasia sp. also known as the Glass anemone. Aiptasia are hermaphroditic and constantly release their planula (larval stage anemone) into the surrounding water.
These may attach themselves to rock or glass and develop into a full anemone.
Aiptasia sp. are highly adaptable and even in poor water conditions spread like weeds. They cause severe damage to the sessile invertebrates that inhabit the tank by stinging their delicate tissues, and compete with them for food and space. Aiptasia sp. are considered as a pest and if left unchecked will take over the entire aquarium. It is essential they are eliminated before their numbers reach nuisance proportions.
Aiptasia sp. anemones are notoriously difficult to eliminate. Physically removing them is difficult due to the fact that they quickly withdraw into tiny holes in the live rock when they are touched. Physically removing them is also ineffective as once they sense danger they release their planula into the water. Furthermore, some residual tissue always stays on the' rock and can regenerate into new Aiptasia sp., leaving you with more than you started with.
The most effective method of eliminating Aiptasia sp. is by exterminating them with strong chemicals however in their basic form they ore difficult to administer and can cause collateral damage to the reef.
Red Sea's Aiptasia-X is a patented, reef-safe formula for the simple and effective control of Aiptasia. Aiptasia-X is a unique composition of natural components, formed into a thick, adhesive mixture that globulates on contact with the aquarium water. It is easily infected near to the oral disk of the anemone and stimulates the anemone to ingest the material without causing it to withdraw into its hole. The adhesive globule effectively seals the anemone's oral disk and mouth, preventing the release of its planulas.
Within minutes of ingesting the Aiptasia-X the anemone will implode, eradicating both the anemone and planulas.
Aiptasia-X globules will not effect the sessile polyps of corals and allows for the safe treatment of Aiptasia that have grown inside coral colonies.
Excess Aiptasia-X will decompose over time without causing any harm to the reef.
Directions for use:
Before using Aiptasia-X treatment m the aquarium, turn off all devices that cause water motion and leave off for approximately 15 minutes after administering the Aiptasia-X material.
1. Shake the bottle vigorously.
2. Assemble the needle to the syringe by rotating the needle until It locks in position.
3. Insert the syringe needle into the bottle and fill the syringe with Aiptasia-X material.
4. Slowly advance the tip of the needle closer and closer to the oral disk of the Aiptasia anemone to be treated while gently releasing small quantities of the material. Let the anemone tentacles close over the needle.
5. Spread the solution all over the anemone's oral disk. The tentacles will start to shrink and release the needle. It is important to cover the entire disk with material to prevent the release of the planulas.
6. To treat small Aiptasia colonies, spread the solution all over the infected area.
7. Treat as many anemones as possible in single treatment.
8. If you creed to refill the syringe with more material make sure that there is no salt water inside the syringe before placing it inside the Aiptasia-X bottle.
9. Any residual solution can be left in the aquarium to decompose naturally.
10. After completing the treatment and to prevent blockage in the needle, flush any residual material from the syringe with hot water. Store the Aiptasia-X at room temp.